Buying a new BMW battery seems simple enough, but there are a few things you need to consider before you do so. For example, even if you buy a genuine BMW battery, you still need to make sure that it’s the right fit for your car. Check out the following factors to find out how you can make the best choice.
There are two main types of car batteries: lead-acid and absorbent glass mat (AGM). Lead-acid car batteries are often fairly cheap compared to their AGM counterparts. However, AGM batteries have the advantage of being able to hold a charge longer and may therefore be a more suitable choice if you tend to leave your car unused for long periods. AGM batteries are also ideal if your BMW is equipped with start-stop technology.
If you’re not sure what battery size you should get, check the owner’s manual that came with your BMW, or search the Internet for the right battery size for your car’s make and model.
Here are the standard battery sizes you’ll see on the market:
- Size 24/24F: Usually fits Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Acura, and vehicles from a couple of other brands.
- Size 34/78: Fits SUVs, pickup trucks, and larger sedans.
- Size 35: Usually fits vehicles by Japanese brands like Toyota and Honda.
- Size 47 (H5): Fits many vehicles by American and European car brands.
- Size 48 (H6): Also fits many vehicles by American and European car brands. Authentic BMW batteries, for example, can come in this size.
- Size 49 (H8): Fits vehicles by European and South Korean brands. A BMW battery replacement may also come in this size.
- Size 51R: Also fits vehicles by Japanese brands.
- Size 65: Fits SUVs, larger sedans, and trucks.
- Size 75: Typically fits General Motors and Chrysler vehicles.
Some batteries need more maintenance than others. For example, unsealed lead-acid batteries typically need to be topped up with distilled water from time to time, though there are some more modern lead-acid batteries that need less maintenance. There are also sealed variants like AGM batteries, which require almost no maintenance at all.
Manufacture Date And Freshness
All car batteries are stamped with a manufacture date, which can sometimes appear as letter codes instead of the numerical date-month-year format. To make sure you get the freshest batteries, it’s worth doing a bit of research on how to find and understand these codes.
Power Requirement And Capacity
A BMW battery’s power requirement is expressed in the Cold Cranking Amps (CCA) and Cranking Amps (CA) ratings. The battery capacity, meanwhile, is measured in Ampere hours (Ah). These ratings will usually be printed on the battery’s label. Check your old battery to see what the ratings are, then look for a new BMW battery with matching ratings.
Ordering Car Batteries Online
Looking for a BMW car battery? Orius Batteries can help you out with that. Simply go to our website and use the Battery Finder tool to input your car’s make, model, and engine. You’ll then be given a variety of BMW car battery options, each one affordable and guaranteed to be genuine.
Have any questions about our products and services? Feel free to give us a call on 01772 348317. You can also email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or fill in the contact form at https://oriusbatteries.com/contact with written queries.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How long do BMW batteries last?
Genuine BMW batteries can last three to five years on average, though this may depend on many factors. Car batteries will last longer when they are maintained properly.
How long does a BMW AGM battery last?
With the right care and maintenance, BMW AGM batteries can last four to six years. If your battery has died or is irreparably damaged, you could take your car to the nearest BMW dealership, and they will be able to replace it with a legit automobile battery. Make sure that your new battery is properly registered by your car as well.
Where is the battery in a BMW?
If you have a BMW sedan or sport-utility vehicle, you can check under the bonnet to see exactly where the battery is located. In other models, you may find the battery in other locations, such as in the boot.
Does BMW offer AGM batteries?
Yes, BMW batteries are available in AGM format. AGM batteries are more expensive, but they’re generally worth the price, especially if you go on short, frequent car trips. This type of original auto battery is also particularly suitable for BMW cars that feature a lot of electronic gadgets.
Why does BMW put the battery in the boot?
Typically, cars have an uneven weight distribution. The engine is located in the front of the car, which means the front wheels bear more weight.
Additionally, the engine gives off a lot of heat, which might not be good for the battery. Certain BMW cars therefore have their batteries positioned in the boot, for better weight distribution and to keep the battery away from the heat of the engine.
Car Battery Care Tips
- Make sure you turn off all of your car’s lights when you plan on parking it for an extended period.
- Avoid using air conditioning or other electronics whenever possible.
- Regularly check the battery terminals for signs of corrosion.
Important Things To Know About Car Batteries
- An authentic vehicle battery can typically last three to five.
- When you turn on the ignition, it triggers a chain of chemical reactions in the battery, enabling it to power your engine.
- The battery also powers the electrical components of the car.
- Avoid tossing out a dead battery with regular household waste. Always take it to your local garage for proper disposal instead.
Factors To Consider When Buying A Genuine Car Battery
Before you buy a battery, make sure you check factors like the battery size and manufacture date. You want to make sure that the new battery is a suitable fit for your car, and you also want to check if it’s the freshest battery you can find – batteries that have been on a shop’s shelf for a long time will already have started to deteriorate.
How To Use A BMW Charger
Overcharging can kill your battery, but the right charger can help you avoid this without hassle. You can buy aftermarket BMW chargers and other BMW genuine parts direct in the UK. To use the charger, simply hook it up to the car and select the mode you want.
You can find authentic and affordable car batteries and accessories that are suitable for any BMW vehicle with the help of Orius Batteries. We also offer car, leisure, and motorcycle batteries at reasonable prices. Order before 3 pm for free next-day shipping.