Pandemic or not, keeping your Vauxhall battery in top condition will do wonders for your car in the long run. Vauxhall Corsa car batteries, just like other vehicle batteries, discharge over time. Letting your car sit for an extended period without being used runs the risk of two things – severe damage to your car and an unwelcome repair bill.
Fortunately, there are a few simple things that you can do to ensure your car battery is well-maintained.
- Turn the AC system on while your car is running. This helps maintain the seals in your car's air-conditioning system and makes it less likely for mould to develop in the air circulation system.
- Make sure that you turn the headlights and other electrical systems off when parking your car overnight.
- Avoid turning your car on and off in quick succession. If you don’t allow enough time for your battery to charge in between starts, the battery power the starter motor requires for your engine won't be replenished sufficiently.
- If your car is privately-parked, investing in a mains-powered battery maintainer, aka trickle charger, will help keep the battery in tip-top condition.
- If you can’t run a lead to your car, you can try running it for 15 minutes every week. Doing this gives the battery enough time to recharge and prevents engine flooding in petrol cars by circulating the fuel and oil around the engine.
Other Car Battery Maintenance Tips
Apart from maintaining your car battery’s prescribed level of charge, it also requires regular check-ups and maintenance, specifically for its electrolyte level and “specific gravity.”
The electrolyte, which is the solution inside your battery composed of sulphuric acid and water, needs to cover the lead plates in each cell. If these plates are exposed to the air, it can cause issues over time.
If you notice that your battery’s electrolyte levels are running low, add enough distilled water to cover the plates. For newer, fully charged batteries, you can safely add enough water to meet the bottom of the filler tube.
Meanwhile, the specific gravity indicates your battery’s state of charge, and your battery will need recharging if it gets too low. If its specific gravity remains low even after charging, your battery is likely already due for a Vauxhall Corsa car battery replacement.
Low specific gravity can also happen in just one cell. Most of the time, this is an indication of an internal fault, which renders battery charging dangerous.
Although the alternator is usually capable of keeping your Vauxhall battery charged, car batteries can go dead for several reasons. It can mean that the service life has been exhausted, and the time to get a replacement battery has come.
Where To Get The Best Vauxhall Corsa Car Batteries
The task of finding a replacement for your car battery does not need to be tedious. While you can refer to the vehicle manual for the manufacturer’s recommended products, our team of experts at Orius Batteries are always willing to lend a hand.
We provide the best Vauxhall Corsa car battery cost in the UK. For enquiries, don’t hesitate to get in touch by dialling 01772 348317. We’re glad to make your battery replacement process hassle-free every single time.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Does it matter what battery you get for your car?
Yes, it does. Generally, it would help if you considered your vehicle’s year, make, and model before buying a car battery. Moreover, choose a battery that suits your driving habits and even the temperature in your area; for instance, if you live in a colder area, go for a higher CCA rating.
How many years do car batteries last?
The minimum average life expectancy of a vehicle battery is three years. However, several factors can affect this estimated timeframe. Even with maintenance and ideal conditions, chemical reactions cause batteries to break down. Your vehicle will most likely need a new battery within five years at the latest.
What is the voltage of a car battery?
A fully-charged automotive battery will typically read at least 12.6 volts or above. When your vehicle’s engine is running, that number should read between 13.7 and 14.7 volts. If the battery is at 12.4 volts, that means it's about 75 per cent charged.
How do you know if it’s the battery or alternator that’s damaged?
There's a rather simple way to check if the alternator is working. All you need to do is run the car and disconnect the positive terminal of the battery. If the vehicle ceases to run, that means you need to have your alternator fixed.
Can a completely dead battery be recharged?
A car alternator can keep a fresh battery charged. However, it is incapable of recharging a completely dead car battery. Charging devices, like a Vauxhall Corsa car battery charger, are designed to safely restore a dead battery. Most of the time, removing the battery from your vehicle won't even be necessary.
What You Need to Know About the All-New Vauxhall Corsa
The all-new, fifth-generation Corsa will have a highly efficient powertrain. It offers reduced energy consumption, flexibility, and refinement when driving.
Some of the other key features that make the latest model worth a look are high-efficiency, lively performance, and fun driving experience. It has a lightweight design, weighing only 980kg – 10 per cent lighter than the previous model! It also features glare-free lighting technology, which is a staple feature in premium cars.
Preserving The Life Of Your Car Battery
Battery problems happen when you leave your car in the garage for a long time or drive it only for short distances. If you can’t drive your car often, here are some helpful tips to avoid a flat automobile battery and keep it ready to go anytime:
- Turn off power-hungry electric accessories.
- Keep the car doors shut to prevent the activation of electrics that use up battery power.
- Get your Vauxhall Corsa car battery checked frequently and look after it by following the manual’s guidelines.
How Your Alternator Can Trigger Your Car’s Battery Warning Light
Once the battery light on your dashboard starts giving out its warning signal, it is most likely caused by one of these things:
- Defective Alternator – Once your alternator goes awry, all your car's electrical systems will get their electricity supply directly from the battery until it gets drained.
- Faulty Alternator Belt – The alternator belt powers your engine coolant pump and power steering system too. Without it, the engine temperature increases and makes it harder to steer your vehicle.
If you think your car needs a battery replacement, our team at Orius Batteries is always ready to help with our wide range of affordable, high-quality products. Call us today for the best prices in the market!